Saturday 30 June 2018

Great Northern War Project - Batch #2

























Here's a new batch of Great Northern War Swedes.

I've added a fourth 'company' to my Swedish Foot. My reasoning is as follows:

Each battalion (two per line regiment) was composed of four companies, each with c. 160 men, 30% of which were pikemen. So, about 640 per battalion. The pikemen from each of the companies were formed together in the centre of the battalion when it was arrayed for battle.

Adding a fourth unit (composed solely of pikemen) allows me to field either three units of Shot and one of Pike, or (which makes more sense), four blended units. Although it isn't stated as such, the nominal scale of The Pikeman's Lament (Osprey) seems to be 10-20 men per figure -- that's how it plays, anyway.  So what I've got is a battalion -- or perhaps four battalions using other sets of rules.




























Four companies, Pikemen to the front.

























Four companies, Pikemen interspersed.
























Pastor Ilaff Christmannbogga leads the way.


























Blue Sonja, Daughter of the Regiment.
























Schmenge, the Dwarf Dudelsackpfeiffer encourages the lads.








































Gunnar, leader of "Gunnar's Gunners" (kind of resembles Trevor Howard, maybe?).
























Two twelve pounders.
























A section of battalion guns.








































The Regiment, marching through Pomerania.

























"Good morning, my Dear!" Gunnar tries it on, the swine.


Since I always paint up my collections in opposing pairs, below is a first unit of Russians.

























And more to come... unpainted Swedish Horse, below.

Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. Very nice, although I have a problem with Pikeman's Lament. From what I understand in PL pike and shot units are distinct and moved separately, which I think is historically wrong as the pike and shot fought as integrated units of both arms. I know it's because it's a "skirmish" game but isn't that a problem if you are "upscaling" the rules?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think that in the GNW, the Foot units should be 'blended', and we'll have to play with the unit characteristics to reflect that. It's not exactly rocket science, but will it work? We'll see! (There's always 'Black Powder'. :-))

    ReplyDelete