Sunday 25 June 2023

1837 Rebellion in Lower Canada - Part I: British Army


British Army on Parade - Lower Canada, 1837







This 15mm 'mini' collection has an interesting back-story.

I had first thought of digging into the mountain of unpainted 15mm Napoleonics that I've managed to accumulate in order to create a 1st Afghan War collection. I went so far as to paint-up the poor HM 44th Foot, and to get the Osprey campaign book. But when I realized how much I would be taking on, to say nothing of the terrain and the hordes of camp-followers that would be needed, I lost heart.

Somewhat later, after reading a book on the 1837 Rebellions, it occured to me that what I had would suit this campaign just fine, plus give me chance to try creating a 'winter' collection. I was also partially motivated on seeing the army list for this campaign in Osprey's Rebels & Patriots.

Assembling this collection will consist of three parts, the first of which is completed and you see pictured here:

  • British Army (two command elements; four battalions of foot; regiment of horse; two sections of guns)
  • Rebel Army (five 'battalions' of Patriotes; two sections of guns)
  • Appropriate Terrain.
1st Royal Dragoon Guards












These Dragoons are obviously not in their winter campaign kit, but what the heck ...

Four Battalions of Foot













Gen. Sir John Colborne





















General Sir John Colborne -- our Gallant Conquering Hero.

Lt-Col Wetherall






















Second-in-Command Lt-Col Wetherall.

1st Foot












1st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots).

34th & 66th Foot













The 34th & 66th Regiments of Foot.

71st Highlanders















The 71st Highland Light Infantry. All right, they're kitted out as Highland Foot, not Light Infantry. And they're not wearing winter uniforms appropriate for North America! But I was going with what I had on hand and didn't want to get too precious about the thing.

Artillery















Two sections of guns limbered up. I'm substituting Prussians, because that's what I've got.

Next up will be the Patriotes, which should be fun to paint. I also need to create some additional bases for groups of figs. Rules will be 'Rampanty'; based on either Rebels & Patriots or The Men Who Would be Kings.

It could be said that this bit of Canadiana doesn't offer up much of a fair fight. But it seems to me that the Patriotes in Lower Canada gave a better account of themselves than the Metis, and at least as good as the Fenians!

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment