Monday 15 February 2021

Ancient Greek Collection in 6mm

I've been really lazy with my gaming during COVID, but I finally got it together enough to finish augmenting my Ancient Greek 6mm collection, which is something I've been meaning to do for some time.

The below show about 1200 figs arrayed on some 60 stands, deployed for the Battle of Delium, 424 BC. Stands are on 40mm fronts. The entire battle is on about a 48 inch front. The reason the bases look a little different from each other is because they were done in different batches, years apart (oh, well).

Athenians are on the right, facing the Theban led Boeotians on the high ground to the left. Thebans themselves are stacked-up in eight ranks on the Boeotian right.

There are many rules to choose from, but I will probably go with Big Battle DBA, with a few important modifications.

Next step is to build appropriately scaled buildings, walls, and triremes from Roman Seas (which I've already downloaded). Then the whole Peloponnesian War is a go!

Cheers,

























4 comments:

  1. Oh, very nice. Looks like a big battle, which is the intended effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic armies. Question: how do you get around the tactics of two phalanxes pushing at each other and make it a really interesting affair?

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The rules I'll try this with is Big Battle DBA, but modified to allow for differences in troop quality. DBA handles push- backs pretty well. I also like to use a house rule called "Flee, flee! Slay them, slay them!" which allows for pursuit after a lost battle rather than ending the battle immediately. The one thing that is a worry is the 'rightward drift' phenomenon, which characterized hoplite warfare, but which I've never seen addressed in any rule set.

      Delete