Saturday 6 October 2018

Battle of the Pyramids with 'Blucher' Rules #1

For a change of pace from 28mm I've switched back to the sanity of 2mm 'nano scale' gaming. ;-)

Some time ago I purchased a copy of Sam Mustafa's grand scale Napoleonic rules 'Blucher', but I haven't had a chance to try them out, yet.

I was thinking of doing something like Borodino or the joint battles of Quatres Bras/Ligny with my 2mm Napoleonics, but those battles seem too big for a first try of new rules.  The Battle of the Pyramids seems about right, substituting my 2mm Sudanese for the Mamluks.

Below are a few concept shots of the game; the actual thing would be more expansive.




























The French in divisional square. Gen. Bonaparte -- on white horse -- takes refuge inside (yes, I know he actually rode a camel!).



















Grand view of the Battle. Note Dhows on the Nile ("Mon Dieu and Death of a Life! There's dhowsands of them!").


















The Fellahin surge forth.

A few notes on the Pyramids of Giza: My collection uses a ground scale of 166 yards to the inch for 'Blucher'. Given that, these model pyramids are accurately to scale, both in height and 'footprint'.  Just about all miniature gaming uses a compromise between figure scale and building scale when using buildings, and it's no exception here; my 2mm figs. would be -- at 166 yards to the inch -- about 40 feet high. If the same proportions were to be used with 28mm figs., the Great Pyramid of Khufu alone would be about two feet across.





Where's Sphinx. you ask? On the other side of the pyramid, of course!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good and an exotic subject, I only hope the Mamalukes have a better chance of winning this time!

    ReplyDelete